You are here
Strengthening Families: Parents' Experiences at the Front End of the Child Welfare System
This presentation is by the Children’s Trust Fund Alliance and their colleagues regarding a project they have been working on in partnership with parents to identify alternatives to CPS investigations. Using a participatory action research approach, three foundations (Annie E. Casey, Stand Together, and Aviv Foundation) supported a project to engage with parents as planners, recruiters, and interviewers to reach out to 100 parents across the U.S. who have experienced an initial visit from their local child welfare system.
Ten parents interviewed 100 parents to help better understand their experiences at the front end of the system. The goal was to better understand how the system works and its impact; the project included outreach to other audiences including youth, child welfare workers, judges, and attorneys for parents.
- Teresa Rafael, MSW, Executive Director, Children’s Trust Fund Alliance
- Tiffany Allen, Research Director, ChildFocus
- Jennifer L. Brooks, PhD, Senior Impact Advisor and President, Jennifer L. Brooks LLC
- Dee Bonnick, National Parent Consultant and Member, Alliance Birth Parent National Network (BPNN)
- Meryl Levine, MSSW, National Director of Parent Partnerships, Children's Trust Fund Alliance