You are here
Webinar: Effective Deployment of Social Service Workers in Schools and Health Care Facilities
While often underrecognized, social service workers can play a critical role in support and protection of children, families and others in need, when located in schools and health care facilities. On World Social Work Day 2022, the Global Social Service Workforce Alliance co-hosted a webinar with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to explore this critical role, and provide promising practice models for the effective deployment of social service workers in these community settings.
Through two global-level speakers and six country-level panelists, the webinar 1) examined the diverse roles of social service workers located in schools and health care facilities; 2) exchanged learning on how the social service workforce can work most effectively when located in such community settings; and 3) provided recommended strategies and interventions for strengthening the social service workforce within such settings.
During the webinar, the Alliance also released our latest technical note, developed in collaboration with UNICEF, on the essential role and function of social service workers in schools.
- Rebecca Levy, Acting U.S. Government Special Advisor on Children in Adversity, USAID
- Maury Mendenhall, Senior Technical Advisor, Orphans and Vulnerable Children, USAID
- Jamie Gow, Children in Adversity Team Lead & Sr. Technical Advisor, USAID
- Hugh Salmon, Director, Global Social Service Workforce Alliance
- Paul Marsden, Health Workforce Specialist, World Health Organization
- Amaraa Dorjsambuu, Child Protection Specialist, UNICEF Mongolia
- Kayode Ogedengbe, Deputy Director, Medical Social Services Department, University College Hospital in Ibadan, Nigeria; President, Association for Medical Social Workers in Nigeria
- Richard Savo, Deputy Chief of Party for Pathways Orphans and Vulnerable Children project, Catholic Relief Services Zimbabwe
- Tinatini Tsertsvadze, Social Services Officer, UNICEF Georgia
- Endeshaw Yemane, Orphans and Vulnerable Children Technical Director, Mekdim Ethiopia National Association
- Kyoung-hyeon Park, Directo, Educational Society; Former President, Koren School Social Works Association