Title:Social Policy Specialist
Please tell us about your role in advocating for or strengthening the social service workforce.
I am passionatelly involved in promoting and advocating for the social services workforce. Below are some of my major achievements in the area:
- Engagement in negotiations and establishing first department of Social Work under Tajik National University. The work started in 2006 and the department was established in 2009. First batch of students with bachelor degree graduated in 2013.
- Inclusion of the "Social Work" and related specialisations into All-republican registry of professions in 2012
- Establishment of Social Work Innovation Centre with its own clinic to provide in-service training to social service workforce currently employed in the social protection sector in 2013. The Centre is fully funded by the government. In 2023 the Centre is transformed into Institute of Professional training of Social Service Workforce
- Establishment of two departments of Social Work within colleagues (state-run and private) for create and promote mid-level professionals in 2021 and 2022.
- Development of State Programme on Strengthening Social Workforce in Tajikistan that was endorsed by the government in 2022. The State Programme is ground-laying document, which set national priorities in developing, maintaining and planning in-service and pre-service professional cadre to support vulnerable people at educational, healthcare, community, family and social protection facilities
- Continuous in-service capacity building of social service workforce since 2007
- Development of Case Management toolkit for Tajikistan, that was endorsed by the Ministry of labour and social protection in 2013 and being applied and used since then
- Contribution to and publishing second edition of brief Tajik-Russian encyclopaedia on social work in 2012
What motivates you to work in this field?
Social service workforce is a vital component of of any thriving society. I firmly believe that by investing in and empowering the social services workforce, we can create lasting and meaningful change in our communities. Through advocating for social services workforce and strengthening their ability we empower and create foundation for sustainable change as well as provide support to vulnerable individuals and communities and build more inclusive society. Investing in social service professionals is an investment in the well-being and future of our communities.
From your experience, please describe one or two key challenges that you face in strengthening the social service workforce?
Despite invaluable contributions, the social services workforce often remains under-resourced and under appreciated. The main challenges faced in Tajikistan, are:
- Lack of adequate funding (Action: government and policy makers must prioritise and allocate sufficient financial resources to support the recruitment, training, and retention of social services professionals. The funding should also extend codeveloping a robust infrastructure, research, and technology to strengthen service delivery).
- Absences of qualified and professionally trained workforce (Action: continuous professional development opportunities should be made available to social service workers, enabling them to enhance their skills, knowledge, and expertise. These actions should include access to relevant training programmes, workshops, mentorship initiatives that promote best practices and evidence-based interventions).
How long have you been a member of the Alliance?
What value does the Alliance bring to your efforts to strengthen the social service workforce?
It is the opportunity to access a wide range of social service information and a support system. By being part of the Alliance, I can:
- Gain access to a comprehensive and global range of support system, including centralised point of contact that makes it easier to access required assistance
- Benefit from connecting with individuals and tap to their specialised knowledge and experience
- Communicate and share information as well as receive best-practice and state-of-art experience on various subjects
- Participate in community activities, events, and initiatives aimed at improving the overall well-being of individuals and families
- Foster sense of belonging and social connection, which empowers me to contribute to positive change
- Participate in community of practice and debates
- Apply methods and techniques that proved to be effective and efficient in other contexts.